General Category > Buying & Selling

Buying new Wheel

(1/3) > >>

Nuno Senna:
Hi guys,

I have the G25, its in excellent conditions, but I need more feeling on the car. So I'm going for a new one.

I'm thinking of the G27 or G29, but the G27 (which I'm leaning to) it's now hard to get brand new. I saw in reviews that the major differences were only in the layout of these two, but I would like to hear it from you.

If you have good impressions on other wheel other than those two, please feel free to say so.

Cheers,

Nuno Senna  :cheers

Ricardo Gama:
I also came from a g25  a couple months ago to a T300. Love it! The pedals that came with my t300 are junk so if your g25 pedals are still OK, keep them if you can :)

Take a look at the Thrustmaster line of wheels , you will not be disapointed!

PS: If you can, go for a DD wheel, it is indeed another galaxy !! :animal

Nuno Pinto:
T300 with the F1 wheel and buy the adapter for the g25 pedals and you are set.
In the future buy Fanatec Pedals (about 400€).
There aren't much more options available, unless you want to spend 2000€ on a steering wheel system :)

Nuno Pinto:
The T300 is very cheap this past 2 days @ Amazon.co.uk
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thrustmaster-Official-Force-Feedback-wheel/dp/B00NOJJPZU?ie=UTF8&SubscriptionId=AKIAJ7T5BOVUVRD2EFYQ&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00NOJJPZU&linkCode=xm2&psc=1&tag=camelalertsizer-21

You will save a lot of money, check:
http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_UK/products/t300rs

199 compared to 299 :)

with the money you save you can also buy the f1 wheel that is also 30 pounds cheaper compared to the normal price:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thrustmaster-Ferrari-F1-Add--Wheel/dp/B005L0Z2BG/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1469912596&sr=1-1&keywords=thrustmaster+f1+wheel

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_UK/products/ferrari-f1-wheel-add

Antti Hyytiainen:
G27 has a twin-motor construction. While this in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, the way the two motors work together in G27 causes some problems which can be very hard to resolve. To avoid having the wheel oscillating back and forth in center position, Logitech has induced a deadzone of a few degrees, which in turn basically means that you get a very low (or nonexistent) FFB when the wheel is centered. It builds up quickly from that, but it still means that it's sometimes extremely difficult to try and sense how much grip the front tires have.

In some sims you can adjust the FFB-output and create a non-linear Force Feedback curve, which combined with the oppositely non-linear native FFB curve means that you get the feedback in a way the game/sim developer meant it to be. In other titles however (rF2, Automobilista, possibly iRacing too), you'll probably be wondering why it's difficult getting a handle of the car in low-grip conditions, estimating how much grip there is and so on. So basically all the sims that use directly the simulated steering column torque as a source of FFB, will be the ones you will likely be unable to get the most out of.

As far as I know, the G29 shares the same construction as the G27. I don't know if they touched the firmware to correct this issue - it's possible, but I'd recommend doing a bit of studying on the matter before purchasing. If the G29 has the same underlying problem as the G27, it's a very poor deal given the lack of a manual shifter.

From what I've read, the T300 is a step up from Logi products. Seen some reports about quality issues, but on the other hand their warranty seems to work pretty well. It's possible the gremlins (electrical) have been fixed in later versions, but can't say for sure. I have seen some pretty nice deals for the T300, some even with the better 3-pedal set.

I did an analysis of my G27 FFB curve awhile back, will post it here if I can still find it.

----------------

EDIT: Found it. The graph numbers don't really make sense without a lengthy description, but you can see the shape of the FFB curve. A completely ideal curve would start from 0 (zero friction) and be a straight, linear slope. You can cut off the friction part (the deadzone) in rF2, but then this leaves you with a curve that gives you, say, 40% FFB when the game is only sending 15-20%. This is equally bad when you're trying to understand what the car is doing.

So in short, don't get a G27. In terms of feel it's a downgrade from your G25 (which has a much more linear FFB output).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version