25 April 2018, 21:00:08

Author Topic: Signing up for series and not taking part: what to do?  (Read 197 times)

Offline Geoffrey Fournier

• Driving Wheel: Logitech G27
Signing up for series and not taking part: what to do?
« on: 10 January 2018, 10:54:40 »
Hello everyone.

I've been signing up to your community for a few years now, but i've been able to do only fews races due to lack of time and others leagues commitments. The other day, I wanted to join the Formula E series, and was quite motivated by the big grid looking at entry list (about 25-28).

Problem is once i did the race few hours later; I realize we were only 11, and guys were signing up and not even taking part in the 1st event (so i guess we won't see them anymore for rest of series if they can't show some sort of commitment for 1st round).

After more researchs, i saw that it was more or less the case for every series. GT3 series has 39 signs-up and they had only 10 drivers everytime.

My question is what to do, to avoid those guys signing-up and not even taking part? Especially when one of those guys (maybe some others also i don't know) sign-up everytime and everywhere but never do a race (Tip: he's team owner from TR Bluvos Motorsports).

That's really Something that needs to be look.

Thanks in advance; Geoffrey

Offline AJYates

• 1 - Board
    • WWW.AJRACING.EU
  • Driving Wheel: TS-PC Racer - Clubsport V3 Pedals
  • Team: AJRACING.EU
Re: Signing up for series and not taking part: what to do?
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2018, 13:33:14 »
Hello everyone.

I've been signing up to your community for a few years now, but i've been able to do only fews races due to lack of time and others leagues commitments. The other day, I wanted to join the Formula E series, and was quite motivated by the big grid looking at entry list (about 25-28).

Problem is once i did the race few hours later; I realize we were only 11, and guys were signing up and not even taking part in the 1st event (so i guess we won't see them anymore for rest of series if they can't show some sort of commitment for 1st round).

After more researchs, i saw that it was more or less the case for every series. GT3 series has 39 signs-up and they had only 10 drivers everytime.

My question is what to do, to avoid those guys signing-up and not even taking part? Especially when one of those guys (maybe some others also i don't know) sign-up everytime and everywhere but never do a race (Tip: he's team owner from TR Bluvos Motorsports).

That's really Something that needs to be look.

Thanks in advance; Geoffrey

Hey Geoffrey, you are absolutely right, its a problem we've had for a while now. I did recently have a couple of ideas to try and help with that, I just need to get it implemented in the website somehow.

These are my 2 ideas,

1) Join Championship button should have a pop up dialog like (Only enter if you will compete in at least 75% of the races!!) as well as explaining the point of idea number 2 below.

2) Minus Ranking points for not attending a race, maybe about (-0,100).

So for example, When you finish a race, In the points or not we still award your Rank for just finishing which is (+0,100). This was created so that people running outside the points still have something to finish the race for and a reason to continue till the end. So maybe if we do the opposite with minus that amount for people not attending a race, I hope people will think twice before entering.

The only other option that could help to some degree could be paid championships, I guess if people had to pay some amount to enter these series then some people would think twice before wasting money and not turning up to race what they paid for. But then we could also loose some honest guys that can not afford to pay that and do actually turn up. Paid championships is a tough one but could help.

I will try and get the first and second solution implemented as soon as possible, but i'm kind of in a situation here where i'm the only guy running the community with some help from Ric in the background. But both of our web development skills are very limited. We really need a new website developer to continue moving forward as a community which we are looking into right now. I'll do my best to get something sorted in the meantime.

I'm also open to other peoples ideas if they would like to add them here.

And I appreciate that some people really do care and wish to make a better place to race Geoff,

Thanks for the post about this mate.

:boss

« Last Edit: 10 January 2018, 13:35:55 by AJYates »